Author Topic: Is a hunting license required to "hunt" whistle pigs (or other non-game animals)  (Read 4870 times)

Offline Nealio

• un-Certified Tanfoglio Armorer
  • Team European Steel
Do you need a hunting license to shoot "non-game" animals such as predators, varmints, crows, etc?
I've heard both "yes" and "no" from people I've asked.
I need to know for both Idaho residents and non-residents.

Offline MarkinIdaho

Do you need a hunting license to shoot "non-game" animals such as predators, varmints, crows, etc?
I've heard both "yes" and "no" from people I've asked.
I need to know for both Idaho residents and non-residents.

Yes, you need a license to shoot non-game animals... yotes, ground squirrels, crows, all that good stuff.  Same for residents and non-residents.

Offline Grumblecakes

• Site Supporter
yep. even if your just out shooting on blm or forest service land you pretty much have to have one. ive heard of f&g guy that would go out to the desert and ticket people without one, just in case they hit a rabbit or whistle pig.
I want America to be run by someone who doesn't just love America, I want him or her to love the shit out of America. - Daniel O'Brien cracked.com

Offline charlz

It is pretty clearly stated in the State Statutes. I think the reason some say yes and some say no is the Fish and Game is always noncommittal in articles and other places I have seen them quoted concerning hunting of species that do not have a specific license. They certainly do not spell it out on their website.

Here is the Statue:

"TITLE 36
FISH AND GAME
CHAPTER 4
LICENSES TO HUNT, FISH AND TRAP
 36-401. Hunting, trapping, fishing -- License requirement -- Exceptions. No person shall hunt, trap, or fish for or take any wild animal, bird or fish of this state, without first having procured a license as hereinafter provided. Provided that no license shall be required:"

and it goes on to list the exceptions like young kids etc.

You can read the whole thing here:

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title36/T36CH4SECT36-401.htm

Offline Nealio

• Team European Steel
If a farmer shoots a rabbit or, crow eating their crops is that in violation? (or is that opening a can of worms?)
How about if a coyote is attacking their animals (which I think is a different case).

I don't hunt, so I don't really know about these things..

Offline ida83704

If a farmer shoots a rabbit or, crow eating their crops is that in violation? (or is that opening a can of worms?)
How about if a coyote is attacking their animals (which I think is a different case).

I don't hunt, so I don't really know about these things..

yes the farmer needs a hunting license

The coyote example is a diffrent case

a resident hunting license is $12.75
fish/hunt combo is $33.50

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/licenses/fees/displayFees.cfm?resType=Resident&feeType=License&feeCategory=

Offline luvmy45

• My shooting and reloading web

Think of it like this... if a farmer shoots a critter on his property and no one is around to witness it, did he really shoot it?

;D
Brian - W1CDP
idpa.kohagen.com

My Gun Club: www.parmarng.org
My Video's: http://www.youtube.com/user/luvmy45

Offline Nealio

• Team European Steel
Think of it like this... if a farmer shoots a critter on his property and no one is around to witness it, did he really shoot it?

I've heard of a lot of critters having heart attacks out in the Idaho farmlands... :P

Offline luvmy45

• My shooting and reloading web
I hear more about lead poisoning than heart attacks, but yeah... same thing  ;D
Brian - W1CDP
idpa.kohagen.com

My Gun Club: www.parmarng.org
My Video's: http://www.youtube.com/user/luvmy45

Offline charlz

There is a whole statute for protecting property and depredation:

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title36/T36CH11SECT36-1107.htm

Still plenty of gray areas though. For instance that statue says that muskrats can be 'taken' in a ditch or irrigation system at any time. The wildlife regs say they can only be trapped and only during certain months. So what does 'taken' mean and do you need a license if they are in the ditch system?? Who knows but better to CYA and have the basic hunting license.

I did find info on the Fish and Game site on ground squirrels, last page of this file:

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/docs/rules/uplandFur.pdf

I did not know some are endangered/protected but I don't hunt in those areas anyway.

That file did link to this pdf which talks about the differnet kinds of ground squirrels.

http://www.fws.gov/idaho/publications/GrSqGuide.pdf

Offline ID Tactical

I believe you could argue the fact that "target shooting" is NOT listed in the F&G Title 36 Chapter 4 regulation.

TITLE 36
FISH AND GAME

CHAPTER 4
LICENSES TO HUNT, FISH AND TRAP

"Hunting, trapping, fishing -- License requirement. No person shall hunt, trap, or fish for or take any wild animal, bird or fish of this state, without first having procured a license as hereinafter provided."

Online fastfire

yes the farmer needs a hunting license

The coyote example is a diffrent case

a resident hunting license is $12.75
fish/hunt combo is $33.50

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/licenses/fees/displayFees.cfm?resType=Resident&feeType=License&feeCategory=

I can rember buying a hunting/fishing combo for $6.00 :o
"KLEIN'S CONSTITUTIONAL LAW:
The Constitution should be amended to say: For every new law, statute or ordinance - two must be repealed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
Second A

Offline neby98

I can rember buying a hunting/fishing combo for $6.00 :o

Yeah and how much gas did 6 buy you then 10gals?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke.

Offline High Wall

yep. even if your just out shooting on blm or forest service land you pretty much have to have one. ive heard of f&g guy that would go out to the desert and ticket people without one, just in case they hit a rabbit or whistle pig.

I hear this all the time.  If you are clearly shooting at targets and if you are in vicinity of your vehicle, walking back and forth to targets, formal or otherwise, shooting repeatedly at the same targets, nobody is going to get you for hunting without a license.  On the other hand, if you are walking around, generally not shooting, except occasionally drawing bead and letting fly at something with hair on it, then yes, they'll probably think you are hunting.  The two behaviors are not that hard to distinguish.

Online luckypunk

GOOD HUNTING STALKER!
and remember to adjust for windage and angle of slope!

Offline mjmcmahon

Be aware: Whistlepigs are (from what I understand) off-limits for this year due to concerns about populations for a couple of the sub-species.  Idaho F&G are supposed to be coming up with some clarification around this, but I know that Idaho Varmint Hunters cancelled their annual Whistlepig hunt because of the change!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6337112/Re_Endangered_ground_squirrels#Post6337112

Online fastfire

Be aware: Whistlepigs are (from what I understand) off-limits for this year due to concerns about populations for a couple of the sub-species.  Idaho F&G are supposed to be coming up with some clarification around this, but I know that Idaho Varmint Hunters cancelled their annual Whistlepig hunt because of the change!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6337112/Re_Endangered_ground_squirrels#Post6337112

There is an area north of Emmett that has species  of whistle pigs that is endangered the rest are fare game
"KLEIN'S CONSTITUTIONAL LAW:
The Constitution should be amended to say: For every new law, statute or ordinance - two must be repealed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
Second A

Offline mjmcmahon

There is an area north of Emmett that has species  of whistle pigs that is endangered the rest are fare game
Fastfire -

just to make sure you're covered, I'd check with IF&G before you head out to shoot.  The following post would lead me to believe that things have changed recently:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6339133/Re_Endangered_ground_squirrels#Post6339133

Offline DCR

Until a few years ago there was an Idaho law that said possession of an uncased firearm in the field created a presumption of hunting.  Because it unlawfully created a presumption of guilt (for those who were charged with hunting without a license), and because some thoughtful people got the attention of worthy legislators, that portion of the statute was amended.

You can walk around in the field all day long with a firearm without a hunting license.  Shoot at a critter, though, and you've crossed the line.

Best to have normal targets (paper, cardboard, cans, tannerite, etc) to avoid any question - but again, you're completely legal to walk around carrying anything you want.

Offline High Wall

Because it unlawfully created a presumption of guilt (for those who were charged with hunting without a license), and because some thoughtful people got the attention of worthy legislators, that portion of the statute was amended.

I believe there was a court case.  I looked for it briefly before I made the post above a few weeks ago, but didn't find it right away and didn't want to spend anymore time on it.

Offline FALex

in the ground squirrel "areas" pointed out in the regs, those are just indicating areas in the state for GS's that are 1) (red shaded area) protected by the Federal Endangered Species Act of 1973 or 2) (the blue shaded area) are considered for a classification of endangered uner this same act, which is indicative of the fact that they most likely will be protected by federal statute.

The protection placed on the Piute GS's (whistlepigs) is a STATE protection which is not presented in those two shaded areas near McCall, but are protected, nonetheless.

See my OP in the hunting section. As it stands right now, whistlepigging is illegal.  Don't believe it, call Debbie at F&G 334-3700, she'll let you know.

Trust me, I blew close to 1K for this year's season.  I am absolutely devastated.

Offline High Wall

Ok I am on an iPhone so this isn't going to be long. Just talked to Debbie. She says there is no restriction on shooting ground squirrels south of Boise.  She says there is no reason your varmint shoot can't be held anywhere else either.

Offline FALex

when I spoke with her 2 days ago, it was against regs.  If this is the case, thank you for the update!  I have some makeup piggin' to do!!

Offline High Wall

We also discussed the issue of target shooting in the desert.  She confirmed there is no requirement for having a hunting license to target shoot. 

Offline MtGoat

There are areas closed south of Boise by regulations due to the "Birds of Prey" area.  You need to read the regs carefully as they closed part of the desert south of town due to:
1) Turds shooting peoples houses and livestock
2) Closed due to being in the Birds of Prey impact area.

Not unlike the area around Micron being closed as the same turds were shooting peoples houses. 

:sarcon: There are only 5 of them in every sport, you know who you are and ruin the sport for everyone :sarcoff:

Pat