Author Topic: Remington 870 Tactical vs 887 Tactical Shotgun Review  (Read 4276 times)

Offline TrooperBrian

Remington 870 Tactical vs 887 Tactical Shotgun Review
« on: June 02, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
Item being reviewed: Remington 870 Tactical and Remington 887 Tactical
Description of item: (at least one user taken pic required, not a web or manufacturer pic but something you took; and attached to the post so it won't disappear)

Remington 870 vs 887 Tactical: Comprehensive Review (Part 1: Studio)

Pros:
Cons:
Best Uses:
Duration Used:
Where purchased:(add URL if possible)
Cost: Both ~$430
Rating: (1 through 5, 5 being best)

Remington 870: 5
Remington 887: 3

Sorry I skipped over a few things, everything is in the video.
"I'm not a big believer in "it can't be done". Those who usually say that generally turn out to be ether ignorant or lazy..." -Mr Blasty, Glock Talk

“Carrying an empty chamber is like, well, having a smoke detector with an air filter.” -Jimbo45

Offline HD-DVD

Re: Remington 870 Tactical vs 887 Tactical Shotgun Review
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »
Great review, TrooperBrian!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, retired geek

Offline birddog1989

• facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 02:30:37 AM »
Nice keep it up.
                         :banana:
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter,
And I must have my freedom.
                             Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Offline dutch1911

• Colt 1911... 'Nuff Said!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 12:00:28 AM »
I have a couple of questions/refinement points for you Brian.
First the 870 "Tactical" is in fact NOT a Police model.  It's not even listed on the LE site for Remington.
It IS in fact an 870 Express with some black attachments... Which apparently qualify it as tactical... or tacticool.
The trigger... I don't believe is metal... I could be wrong on this... as I do on a rare occasion make an incorrect comment... but I believe it is in fact a standard 870 trigger housing, which is in fact not metal but plastic... resin... Polymer whatever one would like to call it.
Glossing through my Remington Armorer Manuals and reflecting on the class, the Police Magnum is a powder coated aluminum as would be the same as the wingmaster in build, but NOT in components.  There are MANY differences between the Police Magnum variants and the so called "Tactical" variety.  I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.  The Tactical is in fact a budget express with added Tacticool components.  Are they necessary... well that would stand to be debated... as with the breaching standoff with rebar groves/Choke is hardly a necessity in the civilian community.  And in my opinion can lead someone to injuring themselves or another.  Having the part doesn't make it capable.
I've looked at a few at Sportsman's and various other places... not at all impressed.  I'll stick with Police Magnum.

Dutch
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:21:32 AM by dutch1911 »

Offline TrooperBrian

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 02:20:12 AM »
I have a couple of questions/refinement points for you Brian.
First the 870 "Tactical" is in fact NOT a Police model.  It's not even listed on the LE site for Remington.
It IS in fact an 870 Express with some black attachments... Which apparently qualify it as tactical... or tacticool.
The trigger... I don't believe is metal... I could be wrong on this... as I do on a rare occasion make an incorrect comment... but I believe it is in fact a standard 870 trigger housing, which is in fact not metal but plastic... resin... Polymer whatever one would like to call it.
Glossing through my Remington Armorer Manuals and reflecting on the class, the Police Magnum is a powder coated aluminum as would be the same as the wingmaster in build, but NOT in components.  There are MANY differences between the Police Magnum variants and the so called "Tactical" variety.  I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.  The Tactical is in fact a budget express with added Tacticool components.  Are they necessary... well that would stand to be debated... as with the breaching standoff with rebar groves/Choke is hardly a necessity in the civilian community.  And in my opinion can lead someone to injuring themselves or another.  Having the part doesn't make it capable.
I've looked at a few at Sportsman's and various other places... not at all impressed.  I'll stick with Police Magnum.

Dutch

Absolutely right, the 870 Tactical is not listed as an LE configured gun. It has a metal trigger and a polymer trigger guard.

Of course to be truly comprehensive, the videos would be hours long. But if you feel you can do better, by all means go ahead and post some yourself.
"I'm not a big believer in "it can't be done". Those who usually say that generally turn out to be ether ignorant or lazy..." -Mr Blasty, Glock Talk

“Carrying an empty chamber is like, well, having a smoke detector with an air filter.” -Jimbo45

Offline dutch1911

• Colt 1911... 'Nuff Said!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:22:36 AM »
You are correct on the metal trigger, the trigger housing is in fact polymer. Remington uses only two different trigger housings. The metal housings are not used on the express budget line.
The way you put was misleading, I simply wanted to clarify. And also ensure that the general public fully understand this shotgun is NOT an LE model. But simply an express configured to appeal to the tacticool market.

Offline Idaho_Gun_Nut

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 11:33:38 PM »
Since the 870 has come up in a couple threads recently... here's a good site for info on them.

http://www.rem870.com/
Μολὼν Λαβέ
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin