Author Topic: Looking for a gun safe  (Read 2053 times)

Offline YamaLink

Looking for a gun safe
« on: November 21, 2010, 04:29:55 PM »
Spent some time with the Heritage sales outlet on Chinden. Having a scratch and dent sale: except SaD safes do NOT carry any warranty. Place did have free delivery and $40 fee to bolt it into the garage floor. The sales pitch mentioned anti-pry lock bolts, composite vs solid doors, fire ratings, etc......and the sales guy mentioned that I should try to buy an American made safe, not one assembled or made in Mexico or China.

Other than that I'm clueless.

What safe do you trust and use?

At what point is it marketing/sales hype and what are the tried and true safe specs a homeowner should have.

Offline popsgunner

• Rockin Glockin, yeah buddy !
Re: Looking for a gun safe
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 05:17:15 PM »
I  have two of their safes, One is a SnD, all fire rated, all made in IDAHO and none have failed me yet, they are Heavy duty and very secure.
Would buy another from them anytime.
Pops

Offline Beamncoke

• Someday Never Comes
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »
I have a Heritage and love it.  I went and picked one out and then brought my wife to town to show it to her.  She said "That one is not big enough, order whatever you want."  So I did.  Now I have a new safe and a smoker grill.
69 assholes tied in a knot

Offline fj40mojo

• Μολὼν λάβε Μπορείτε να δοκιμάσετε πάλι
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 06:50:42 PM »
The Summit Safes at Cliff's are made by heritage, good stuff. Wish I could afford one. :(
"Both an oligarch and a tyrant mistrust the people and therefore deprive them of their arms." Aristotle

“I know not what others may choose but, as for me, give me liberty or give me death.”-Patrick Henry

Μολὼν λάβε!

Offline Nealio

• un-Certified Tanfoglio Armorer
  • Team European Steel
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 09:10:21 PM »
You can get into any safe that costs ~$5000 or less with a cutoff wheel in about 3 minutes.
If someone wants your shit bad enough they can get it. I just have a safe that will keep your average dirtbag from doing a smash and grab one weekend while you are away.
However the nicer safes do give you a ton better fire protection.
That's my $.01

- Nealio

Offline RGinIdaho

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 09:22:53 PM »
Best safe for theft and fire protection is a rider on your homeowners insurance. Store photos and s/n's off site and you should be fine.

I have a safe to keep the less motivated out...
Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Offline fastfire

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:37:57 PM »
A friend of mine is a cousin of the owner of Heritage safes.
In order to be competive in this buisness they are now made in China and the finish work is done in Idaho. :(
"KLEIN'S CONSTITUTIONAL LAW:
The Constitution should be amended to say: For every new law, statute or ordinance - two must be repealed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
Second A

Offline codethree

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 01:33:56 AM »
Heritage is a pretty solid safe. They have different levels of quality safes. Get the safe with the thickest walls you can afford. Also I'd recommend getting a quality monitored home alarm system.

Offline Momma Sheepdog

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Tallon Safes are made in Emmett. Great group of guys. They donated a pink safe to Shoot for a Cure last year. Word is they will be donating one to SFAC 2011 also. :)Talked with them at last Boise gunshow. They seem willing to do a lot of different things to insure customer satisfaction. I would say at least check them out.

Offline luvmy45

• My shooting and reloading web
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »
Here's my take on safes, and this is subject to change with further aging and use, so take it for what it's worth. about .02.

I don't have a target on my safe, like the guys from Ocean's 11 and the Italian Job and all those cool movies about breaking into elaborate safes.

I need my safe to about 4 things:
1) Keep my firearms secured from my kids/friends of kids/etc that are visiting the house and playing.
2) Lock up some valuable stuff like emergency cash ($10 if you must know. :-), car titles, birth certificates, suppressor forms, etc..
3) Keep the smash and grab thieves that would visit the house from walking away with items 1 & 2 easily.
4) If there was a fire, hopefully protect items #2 long enough for the fire department to put out the fire.

I got a reputable safe, from a reputable company, at a good price that does those things.
How does it stand up to fire? Says it will do 30min, haven't tried it so I couldn't comment.
Does it keep out thieves? Unless they came prepared to crack a safe, yes... bolted down and too heavy for a couple of guys to get out of where it is located, can't jam a prybar in there and open the door.
Does it keep my kids out of it? Yup.
Does it give me warm fuzzies when I look at it.? Yup.

My criteria for buying a safe was, is it big enough? (I thought so, but man when you get one, the guns multiply like rabbits) Does it have a fire rating? Is it affordable to my budget?

It wasn't a local company, as they didn't meet my affordable criteria, too bad, I would have like to buy from them.

I read somewhere that smash and grab thieves spend spend about 10 minutes in a house, grab what ever is easy and light that they can carry in a car.

Brian - W1CDP
idpa.kohagen.com

My Gun Club: www.parmarng.org
My Video's: http://www.youtube.com/user/luvmy45

Offline Jaggy13

• Site Supporter
  • I love it when a plan comes together
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 06:08:40 PM »
Similar to BK, I have certain needs for a safe.
I opted for a small fire box to keep documents in, and wanted a place to mostly store and conceal my firearms than "protect" them.
I converted an old pepsi machine. I figure its more of a decoy than anything else and keeps everything organized.

I went back and forth over smaller inside or larger garage safe. I didn't want huge, I have a small house and can't afford to give up much space inside or the garage.
I'm not to worried about the break in kind of thief. I'm more worried about my items not having a "home" and getting stacked on the couch... It's just odd to bring a girl home and have to move 3 rifles, 2 shotguns and 7 handguns for her to sit down to watch a movie.  ;)
Figure out what your needs/budget are and I bet you land on a piece that gets the job done.
They call me "Double J"

Offline tgibson

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 09:12:37 PM »
One more quick thought...two safes 40% the size of one large safe will hold more guns...well maybe not hold more guns, but make them MUCH more accessable.  I got two mid-sized safes and it is really convenient.  Can't imagine trying to stuff all the stuff I have now into one and have it easily accessable.
Adios,
TG
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline birddog1989

• facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 09:55:51 PM »
I looked and looked and ended up with a Fort Knox.  Take your time, do research and get what "you" want.

http://www.ftknox.com/redesign/safes/protector.htm
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter,
And I must have my freedom.
                             Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Offline MrsFJ

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 08:24:56 PM »
Heritage safes that are made in the USA are more expensive but I have seen the quality first hand and it is better than safes I have seen from Mexico or China.  Another incentive to fire rated safes is that if you keep some or all of your tax documents in them you can write off a certain percent of your safe every year for I believe it is 10 years.
Welcome to Idaho, now take a wolf and go home!

Offline agunforeachhand

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 09:40:26 AM »
I have a decent little safe. Keeps the kids out for sure. As for thieves I don't know. I let the DOGS handle that problem. The safe and the dogs are in the same room.
“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”--Benjamin Franklin

Offline luvmy45

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 10:13:26 AM »
I have a decent little safe. Keeps the kids out for sure. As for thieves I don't know. I let the DOGS handle that problem. The safe and the dogs are in the same room.

If I was a theif, I could bypass your dogs in 2 seconds...

Hit the fridge/freezer first, grab a meat/food toss it on the floor and they are my friends forever. meanwhile, I either cart off your safe, or do whatever I wanted in your house.  ;D

Dogs have big bark, but unless it's a trained guard dog, very little bite.

Brian - W1CDP
idpa.kohagen.com

Offline agunforeachhand

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 10:19:39 AM »
If I was a theif, I could bypass your dogs in 2 seconds...

Hit the fridge/freezer first, grab a meat/food toss it on the floor and they are my friends forever. meanwhile, I either cart off your safe, or do whatever I wanted in your house.  ;D

Dogs have big bark, but unless it's a trained guard dog, very little bite.

Lol I have 4 dogs BK to in the house and 2 outside. The dog I would worry about is the one my wife brought back from hurricane katrina. That damn dog does not like men at all :)  My point BK is if a thief started into my house the damn dogs would go nuts barking and probably scare them away!!!!
“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”--Benjamin Franklin

Offline luvmy45

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 11:24:48 AM »
Depends on the theif... your crash and bang, yup, their gone... if it's a profession theif that is coming in... dogs don't scare them, it's really easy to lure dogs with food into a room and close the door. Problem neutrilized.

Just saying, dogs are a feel good home protection device and that's about it. Scares kids, and doesn't really deter a thief... gang banger yes, theif no.
Brian - W1CDP
idpa.kohagen.com

Offline agunforeachhand

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 11:43:40 AM »
Depends on the theif... your crash and bang, yup, their gone... if it's a profession theif that is coming in... dogs don't scare them, it's really easy to lure dogs with food into a room and close the door. Problem neutrilized.

Just saying, dogs are a feel good home protection device and that's about it. Scares kids, and doesn't really deter a thief... gang banger yes, theif no.

Well if its a professional thief like you are suggesting then a safe won't save your items either  ;D Only sure bet is like RG said. Good insurance and records of said items. Now quit throwing those damn grenades at me  ;)

Offline J Mack

• Site Supporter
  • Morale has improved. Carry on..
    • 1.5 million people attended the inauguration, and only 20 missed worked!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 12:08:44 PM »

What safe do you trust and use?

At what point is it marketing/sales hype and what are the tried and true safe specs a homeowner should have.

I use a Heritage safe and for the most part I'm happy with it but I do wish I would have spent more time looking at the 3/4" Pyro-Shield fire door they lead me to believe is solid 3/4" steel, it's 3/4" thick but not solid steel and makes me think about what else they lead me to believe that's not quite true.

some good info on safe buying:
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.-- Winston Churchill
    I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.E.N.C.E. is down! I repeat, we have no I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.E.N.C.E.

Offline J Mack

• Site Supporter
  • Morale has improved. Carry on..
    • 1.5 million people attended the inauguration, and only 20 missed worked!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 02:02:22 PM »
Do any of you guys have lights in your safe?
I'm looking for something like these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/9-LED-Accent-Light/10967486?wmlspartner=hLUPakqa5g4&sourceid=07859275371659496222
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.-- Winston Churchill
    I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.E.N.C.E. is down! I repeat, we have no I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.E.N.C.E.

Offline Jeff

• Bert the Turtle
  • Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.
    • Sawtooth Tactical
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 02:20:46 PM »
I have something similar.  I think three where needed.  Mine just attach via velcro to the liner.
Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.